Bored with lunch these school holidays? Fresh onion straight from the garden can be used to add a tasty twist to the humble toasted sandwich.
2 Top Taste brown onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
Freshly ground pepper
4 slices rye bread
4 tbsp butter
Enough Havarti cheese for two sandwiches – If you cannot find Havarti you can use Jarlsberg instead
- Heat pan on medium heat. Melt butter and add olive oil, onions and pepper
- Stir constantly until browned.
- Lower heat and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until caramelized.
- Remove from pan and cover.
- Add 1tbsp of the butter to the heated pan and melt.
- Toast bread in fry pan until golden
- Flip one slice over and top browned side with half of the caramelised onions and half the cheese.
- Top with the other slice, brown side down.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and melt another 1tbsp butter in the pan.
- Replace sandwich in pan and toast on both sides until cheese has melted and bread is golden.
- Serve while hot.
- Repeat steps 1-7 for the other sandwich.
Makes two sandwiches.