These squash sliders are fun, healthy and full of flavour! If you ask us, we might even say that they are better than a conventional burger!
6 Top Taste patty pan squash, trimmed and halved
1 Top Taste tomato, sliced
1/4 Top Taste Chinese cabbage, shredded
1 Top Taste spring onion, finely chopped
250g lean pork mince
3 rashers streaky bacon
1 tsp paprika
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Place pork, spring onion and paprika in a bowl and add salt to taste. Mix together until combined.
- With clean hands, roll mixture into six golfball sized balls and set aside in refrigerator.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in frying pan. When pan is hot place each squash, flesh down into the pan.
- Cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes each
- Place squash on an oven tray and bake in oven for 10 minutes
- In the mean time, place your bacon in the pan, cook until crispy, remove from pan, cut in half, cover and set aside.
- Make sure your pan is really hot, then place your pork patties in the pan and push down to flatten. Fry each side in the bacon juices for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove squash from oven and place bottom halves on serving plates.
- Assemble ingredients on top of squash and place other half of squash on top. Insert a skewer to keep the slider together.
Serves 2-3 people.
- Pay attention to where you put each squash half, so you know which ones match. However, unless your squash greatly differ in size, if you forget it doesn’t really matter.
- Watching your weight? Replace the bacon with some reduced fat cheese. Melt it onto the pork patty just before you remove it from the pan. Or even better: Omit all together.