This beetroot pesto adds some brightly coloured, flavourful fun to your table. Try it in pasta, over roast vegetables, on bread, or experiment with the sweet, nutty-beetroot flavour this pesto offers.
2 large or 3 small TopTaste globe beetroots, peeled and cooked (see tips)
1 clove of TopTaste garlic
80g pine nuts
100g parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 cup of olive oil
Salt to taste
- Peel your beetroot and chop up into small cubes.
- Add beetroot, garlic, and pine nuts to the blender.
- While blending on a medium setting, slowly add the olive oil to the blender. Once combined add the parmesan cheese and blend to combine.
- If you are happy with the consistency of your pesto remove from the blender, if not blend until you are happy.
- Remove from blender and serve, or store in the fridge.
To cook beetroots quickly you can microwave them:
- Trim your beets, leaving only about 2cm of stem on top.
- Wash under cold water, making sure all dirt is removed
- Place in a microwave proof dish with 3tbs of water
- Cover and microwave on high for 10-15 minutes or until beetroot is tender.
Warning: When removing beetroot from the microwave and taking off cover watch out for hot steam!