Too much garlic in your garden? Preserved garlic is easy to make and helps the garlic maintain its taste! This recipe not only lasts longer than your garlic would on its own, but it also tastes amazing! Use it as you would raw garlic, mix mashed pieces through butter for a delicious garlic butter, or slice through salad.
If you are careful to sterilise your jars correctly (See tips) this garlic will last up to six months in the fridge!
2 cups of Top Taste garlic cloves, peeled
3 Top Taste red chillies, chopped
2 cups good quality olive oil
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy based saucepan
- Simmer ingredients over low heat until the garlic is tender, but not browned (this takes around 20-30 minutes)
- Spoon the garlic and chilli into sterilised jars
- Pour oil over the garlic, if you do not have enough to cover all your garlic add some more oil.
- Seal jars and set aside to cool
- Once the jars are cool store in the fridge for up to six months
To sterilise your jars:
- Preheat oven to 110C
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water and rinse well
- Place jars and their lids in a saucepan big enough to hold them and cover with cold water
- Cover saucepan with a lid, bring to the boil and boil for ten minutes
- Remove jars with tongs and place upside down in the oven for 15 minutes to dry